1. So far you’ve done okay. You’ve found your passion and at such an early age you’ve chosen to get a head start on building the foundations of your career. However, don’t be naive as to think that from now, everyday you’ll be farting out rainbows and butterflies. Not every article you write will be a breeze and not everyone will think it’s amazing. So many people get to this stage and not many pass it. You have no choice. You have to go beyond what is expected of you. Like any thing else that you’ve done, you have to drown yourself in something to fully understand that it doesn’t always make you happy. This right here, won’t always make you happy. If anything it will challenge your weakest traits and bring the worse out of you. Its late nights, early starts and ridiculous compensation but it can also be the most monumental asset to your life that will define everything else that you do.
2. Adulthood is a lie. This “grown up” bullshit were fed is just another one of those folklore tales. You’re not suppose to reach your “full potential” by your 20’s and have it “all figured out”, instead adulting it’s a process of elimination; a series of trial and error. In the end, you just become better at being you- even if you have to strip a few layers off.
3. Embrace awkward situations. Smile when you stutter in conversations, breathe and take your time to make your point. (Good thing you’re better at this writing stuff anyway, you can work on speaking concisely later.)
4. Someone can be madly in love with you and still not be ready and whatever their reasons, you must leave. You never ever have to convince someone to do the work to be ready. There is more extraordinary love, more love that you have never seen, out here in this wide and unpredictable universe. And there is love that will be ready.
5. You cant help what your heart wants. If you have to put yourself through the same tormenting relationship again and again to realise you’re breaking your own heart, so be it. When you’re done, you’re done.
6. Check side mirror’s, back mirror’s and blind spots before reversing out of a parking space. It’ll save you the trouble. Apologies to the German tourists and their Toyota rental car.
7. While we’re at it, stop speeding. Leave earlier or deal with the consequences. As a result, you have one point to last you for the next two probationary years of driving.
8. Don’t be mindless, be mindful. If you can’t spare 10 minutes of the day to be still, you’re not living a very fulfilling life. Meditation is key to a peaceful lifestyle without the need for distractions.
9. There will be plenty of people who will be better for you and who will be willing to compromise and be flexible. There are already people in your life who do that for you- you don’t have to go out on a limb for people who wont.
10. Learn to take care of something other than yourself. Example, your plants; they are sweet precious living beings that you have taken the responsibility to care for. If you can’t take care of a cactus, you won’t be able to take care of a dog.
11. The world is your playground. You have the privilege to live how you want to. Not many have that opportunity. Use it. If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to build theirs.
12. Confidence only comes from within. Not from makeup. Not from your clothes. Not from your hair. Not even from your body. But the true essence of who you are; your soul.
13. Understand that it is a choice to let dumb shit affect you. Not everything needs a reaction, there is power in walking away.
14. You’re not a kid anymore. You have the right to choose your own life. You can start again. If you want to drop out of University and found your own online magazine, all you have to is drop out of University and found your own online magazine. It’s that simple.
15. You are not the show-up-whenever you-want-me girl. You are not the wait-around-till-you-text-me-back girl. You are Czarina Madayag. You value your time, your worth and your body. Always remember that.
16. If we understand how necessary attention is for a human being, we should feel empowered to realise that we can be the source that gives it. Do not disregard your power and potential to make/break someone’s day.
17. Don’t just live for the weekend and run on autopilot throughout the week. Eat enough nutrients, drink enough water and meditate. Monday’s don’t have to be a dreaded day, just like Friday’s doesn’t necessarily mean a holiday.
18. Remember there are no coincidences, everything is a direct manifestation of how you act, speak and think. Monitor your actions by writing down weekly lessons, even lessons you’ve already noted down from the previous weeks. Because if you have to write about it again- you’re making the same mistakes. Pause, breathe and redirect; differentiate from self sabotage to external factors.
19. You are a ray of sunshine and you know it. You have the power to light up whatever room your in. It is your gift. However, you also have the power to darken the mood and that’s okay to do but remember that people bounce off you. Don’t go wondering why everyone around you is miserable when you were the one who was miserable to begin with.
20. You are evolving. You are growing. You are becoming. Do not stop. At this rate, you are on your way to achieve incredible things. When people underestimate you, it is your fuel. You can prove them wrong. You’ve already proven them wrong. However, when you underestimate yourself, you really do lose yourself. Nurture this fragility. Understand that there is power in being vulnerable, in being ugly. Remember that you’re only capable of what your human body can enable you to do and only have so much capacity in your human brain to contain. Do not push yourself too hard but push yourself enough to grow.
Here’s to the 20’s.